[pdal] PDAL 1.0.0 Released

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Thu Sep 10 14:22:20 PDT 2015

All,

After years of saying we'd have a release, but still being hesitant to actually follow through with it, we now have a PDAL 1.0.0 release. There's tons of stuff in it, and for those who've been following along for quite a while now, thanks for hanging around. Here's a short bullet list of PDAL 1.0.0 capabilities, just in time for #foss4g:

* git-style `pdal` command line utility for processing data http://www.pdal.io/apps.html
* 18+ readers, 14+ writers, and 17+ filters http://www.pdal.io/stages/index.html
* VRT-like "pipeline" syntax for stacking operations together http://www.pdal.io/pipeline.html
* Python extension for manipulating data in Numpy https://pypi.python.org/pypi/PDAL

I would like to thank Michael Gerlek for his design guidance and implementation support during PDAL's early days, Brad Chambers for his awesomely useful additions and refactoring, and Andrew Bell for his performance optimization, maintenance support, and design improvements. Contributions from numerous very patient users and developers also helped get us this far, and they are very much appreciated.

There's still plenty of rough edges, but PDAL has been used in data warehousing production for a few years. This 1.0.0 release signals that we're ready for folks to give it a spin and see if they find it useful too. We will probably just increment minor versions (1.1, 1.2, ..., 1.x) for a while as we learn and adapt to how others are integrating and using the code in their own situations. Version numbers are cheap, so expect more of them.

We hope you find the code useful, and we look forward to your contributions.

Howard

http://download.osgeo.org/pdal/PDAL-1.0.0-src.tar.gz