[pdal] PDAL 1.0.0 Released

Albert Godfrind albert.godfrind at oracle.com
Sat Sep 12 07:38:39 PDT 2015

I am a bit confused about the installation process on Linux. The rpms on http://pdal.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/rpms/ seem to only define the repository environment for the installation proper ?

$ sudo yum install pdal
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, security
Setting up Install Process
No package pdal available.
Error: Nothing to do

I downloaded the RPM:

$ wget http://pdal.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/rpms/repo/redhat/rhel-7-x86_64/pdal-redhat-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
--2015-09-12 16:35:08--  http://pdal.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/rpms/repo/redhat/rhel-7-x86_64/pdal-redhat-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
Resolving pdal.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com... 54.231.65.28
Connecting to pdal.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com|54.231.65.28|:80... connected.
Length: 4936 (4.8K) [application/x-rpm]
Saving to: “pdal-redhat-1.0-1.noarch.rpm”
100%[======================================>] 4,936       --.-K/s   in 0.1s
2015-09-12 16:35:08 (37.8 KB/s) - “pdal-redhat-1.0-1.noarch.rpm” saved [4936/4936]

Installed the RPM:

$ sudo rpm -iv pdal-redhat-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
Preparing packages for installation...
pdal-redhat-1.0-1

PDAL did not get installed, but I can now use yum. Except it fails with a 403 (forbidden):

$ sudo yum install pdal
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, security
http://pdal.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/rpms/repo/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 403"
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fmach-centos7. Please verify its path and try again

Did I miss something ?

Albert

> On 10-Sep-2015, at 23:22, Howard Butler <howard at hobu.co> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> After years of saying we'd have a release, but still being hesitant to actually follow through with it, we now have a PDAL 1.0.0 release. There's tons of stuff in it, and for those who've been following along for quite a while now, thanks for hanging around. Here's a short bullet list of PDAL 1.0.0 capabilities, just in time for #foss4g:
>
> * git-style `pdal` command line utility for processing data http://www.pdal.io/apps.html
> * 18+ readers, 14+ writers, and 17+ filters http://www.pdal.io/stages/index.html
> * VRT-like "pipeline" syntax for stacking operations together http://www.pdal.io/pipeline.html
> * Python extension for manipulating data in Numpy https://pypi.python.org/pypi/PDAL
>
> I would like to thank Michael Gerlek for his design guidance and implementation support during PDAL's early days, Brad Chambers for his awesomely useful additions and refactoring, and Andrew Bell for his performance optimization, maintenance support, and design improvements. Contributions from numerous very patient users and developers also helped get us this far, and they are very much appreciated.
>
> There's still plenty of rough edges, but PDAL has been used in data warehousing production for a few years. This 1.0.0 release signals that we're ready for folks to give it a spin and see if they find it useful too. We will probably just increment minor versions (1.1, 1.2, ..., 1.x) for a while as we learn and adapt to how others are integrating and using the code in their own situations. Version numbers are cheap, so expect more of them.
>
> We hope you find the code useful, and we look forward to your contributions.
>
> Howard
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/pdal/PDAL-1.0.0-src.tar.gz

 <http://www.oracle.com/>
Albert Godfrind | Geospatial technologies | Tel: +33 4 93 00 80 67 | Mobile: +33 6 09 97 27 23 | Skype: albert-godfrind <skype:albert-godfrind>
Oracle Server Technologies
400 Av. Roumanille, BP 309  | 06906 Sophia Antipolis cedex | France
Everything you ever wanted to know about Oracle Spatial <http://www.apress.com/9781590598993>
 <http://www.locationintelligence.net/dc/>