[pdal] Import point cloud into PostgreSQL/ pdal pipeline fails

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Thu Sep 17 06:16:12 PDT 2015

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 3:51 AM, Thomas Cürten (WhereGroup) <thomas.cuerten at wheregroup.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what you've gotten with your installation, but it seems you haven't gotten PDAL built with postgres support.  Take a look where your libpdalcpp.so file is (usually /usr/local/lib) and check to see if the directory contains libpdal_plugin_writer_pgpointcloud.so.  If not, you're going to have to build PDAL yourself or get an installation from another source that build the postgres plugin.

Another thing to try is exporting PDAL_DRIVER_PATH=/path/to/pdal/lib in the environment before running the pipeline. It is possible that OpenGeo suite doesn't install in a default location. Newer PDAL now embeds the install location as a plugin path, but older ones didn't if I recall correctly.

> Perhaps someone else knows which plugins are provided with various installations?

I'm not sure what the status of the OpenGeo suite is in regard to PDAL and the latest 1.0.1 release. I would imagine it probably isn't quite up to date yet.

Another option, just to see if you can get things working, is to run through the PDAL Vagrant tutorial. http://www.pdal.io/vagrant.html It installs PostgreSQL and pgpointcloud, and it uses them to store and retrieve a file as an example.

Hope this helps,