[pdal] [pgpointcloud] ply and laz

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Fri Sep 25 12:21:22 PDT 2015

> On Sep 25, 2015, at 2:04 PM, Dean.Hand.ctr at nga.mil wrote:
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>
> Hi Howard,
>
> When trying to pgpointcloud to write as either a ply we're experiencing an issue.  For ply files, the x and y coordinates are only 3 digits in length. I don't see anything in our docs to explain this...
>
> Can you please help?

I don't think pgpointcloud supports writing natively as ply? Are you using PDAL?

If so:

* What do you mean by "digits"? Do you mean digits after the decimal point?
* What was original source data format before it went into pgpointcloud? LAS
* It is possible that the PDAL ply driver could be modified to support overriding the output precision, but some investigation would need to be done into the rply code that PDAL uses to read/write PLY. Quickly looking at the PDAL source. this feature doesn't appear to exist yet.