[pdal] Documentation on using PDAL

César Martínez Izquierdo cesar.izq at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 02:06:53 PDT 2016

Dear list,

I'm evaluating using PDAL to read and write LAS files. My use case is
focused on the following requirements:
- accessing to individual points on the LAS files (sometimes sequentially
and sometimes to specific records using record number)
- learning about LAS file properties (coordinate reference system of the
data, number of records, existing fields [which depends on the record point
type in use], etc)
- creating new LAS files and writing individual points to them
- appending individual points to existing LAS files, maybe also editing or
deleting existing points

Is PDAL able to satisfy these use cases? I have read the online
documentation, but it seems to be really focused on translating from one
format to another one, and there is little information about how to
actually accessing the points.

The "Writing with PDAL" tutorial [http://www.pdal.io/tutorial/writing.html]
gives me some light on the writing part, but I still don't see if it really
matches our use case. If I correctly understand the tutorial, you have to
first create a PointTable and a PointView, which I guess are created
on-memory.

Is there a way to "stream" the points to the writer? Otherwise I believe
this approach is not feasible for writing big LAS files. Would be possible
to create the writer on "append" mode and to feed it with several
PointViews on a loop for instance?. Will this approach perform well or is
there a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance,

César Martínez Izquierdo

   César Martínez Izquierdo