[pdal] Documentation on using PDAL

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:14:03 PDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 4:06 AM, César Martínez Izquierdo <
cesar.izq at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> The "Writing with PDAL" tutorial [http://www.pdal.io/tutorial/writing.html]
> gives me some light on the writing part, but I still don't see if it really
> matches our use case. If I correctly understand the tutorial, you have to
> first create a PointTable and a PointView, which I guess are created
> on-memory.
>
> Is there a way to "stream" the points to the writer? Otherwise I believe
> this approach is not feasible for writing big LAS files. Would be possible
> to create the writer on "append" mode and to feed it with several
> PointViews on a loop for instance?. Will this approach perform well or is
> there a better way to do it?

As was mentioned, you can stream points to the writer with LAS depending on
what other processing you might want to do.  When you call execute(), just
pass a FixedPointTable instead of a PointTable.  Unless you are
memory-limited, it's not likely to amount to a huge performance
improvement, though.

You really need to be specific about your needs to allow us to provide you
good information.  It's best to write a little code and not make to make
too many assumptions about problems before you start.

Best,

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com