[pdal] pgpointcloud : is pdal compressing pcpatch before sending them to database?

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Thu Apr 28 09:23:35 PDT 2016

> On Apr 28, 2016, at 10:58 AM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
>
> Pgpointcloud lets you extract compressed results. If you don't apply
> the PCUncompress function, you get the compressed version, as it lives
> in the disk serialization. I didn't make this a standard thing for
> PDAL driver because I didn't want people to get into the habit of
> copying the comressor/decompressor code everywhere. If we had a
> standard compression like laszip in use, so standard decompressors
> could handle it, that would be better.

lazperf compression, which is used by PDAL for both the Oracle and SQLite drivers, is on the roadmap for pgpointcloud but thus far hasn't been implemented.

https://github.com/pgpointcloud/pointcloud/issues/81

lazperf has not been turned into a system library yet, and that might be the biggest impediment to making it available to both pgpointcloud and PDAL. The software development to support it inside of the pgpointcloud extension would not be too difficult, however.