[pdal] Setting buffers on point clouds

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Fri May 6 12:42:39 PDT 2016

> On May 3, 2016, at 3:15 PM, Maxson, Michele L ERDC-RDE-CRREL-NH CIV <Michele.L.Maxson at erdc.dren.mil> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to set buffers on tiled point cloud data?  For example, I would like to split (spatially) a point cloud into several more manageable sized point clouds for processing.  I would like each new tile to have a few meters of overlapping points in neighboring tiles that are flagged by an attribute as 'overlap' so that when ground filters, DEMs, and other filters are run on each tile there will not be edge effects at the intersections of the abutting tiles.  I'd like them tiled first because the scans are currently overlapping and I would like to run other filters on the entire dataset and not just a per scan basis, but merging the files first creates an LAZ file that is too large to handle.  I'm open to other ideas and solutions as well.

Michele,

It should be possible to do this, but you're going to have to make a multistage workflow to do so, and you're going to have to programmatically generate some stuff as part of that. There might also need to be a few things developed to make it easier to achieve.

Let us know as you attempt constructing a processing scenario where you end up getting stuck. We can work through it as we go.