[pdal] vcomp100.dll missing?

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Nov 28 09:02:14 PST 2016

> On Nov 28, 2016, at 3:45 AM, Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> wrote:
>
>> A nicely integrated Windows install, based on OSGeo4W64 or otherwise, is a
>> lot of work to start and even more constant resource drag to maintain. It
>> needs contribution to make it happen, and it requires enough specialized
>> experience and skill. A bunch of pieces are there, but there is still plenty to
>> do to complete the integration.
>
> Howard,
>
> An updated version of PDAL in OSGeo4W would be a huge benefit for me and my colleagues. So much that I can justify spending time on updating the current PDAL package. I do have quite a lot of experience in building PDAL on Windows in various configurations. I have very little insight in the OSGeo4w-ecosystem however. If someone is willing to mentor me in the inner workings of the OSGeo4W distribution, I'll do my best to update the PDAL package once 1.4 is out. I think it can be done without too much hassle if the aim is a bare-bones build of PDAL.

The PDAL AppVeyor build is based on OSGeo4W64, so from a dependency standpoint, things are in pretty good shape there.

The things to be completed are:
- Auto-generation of the OSGeo4W64 package from a built tree (there are a few scripts that don't work. I mostly hand-rolled the existing package)
- Environment-setting .bat files for OSGeo4W64 package
- Supporting OSGeo4W64 packages such as laz-perf

Join the OSGeo4W mailing list and send an email stating your desire to start maintaining the OSGeo4W PDAL packages. We can get you accesses after that.