[pdal] Is PDAL capable of producing Lidar grid metrics?

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Thu Sep 1 06:42:47 PDT 2016

As I mentioned in the Stack Exchange thread, and Brad mentioned below, this isn't currently possible out of the box with PDAL. I would ask what you are hoping to get by having this capability in PDAL rather than building a tool chain that includes FUSION + PDAL + other tools. Maybe it would be helpful to take a step back and describe how PDAL statistics computation would fit within a larger context.

Most of PDAL's current "characterization" filters are about generating primitive computations for algorithms such as slope, ground, etc. There's things like coplanarity, projection, regression, sampling, and normal computation [1]. These are "per-point" type statistics rather than summaries, however, and are focused on the positional geometry of the point in relation(s) to its neighbors. Brad described the derivative writer, which does some typical surface summaries, and it would be a good place to start on an implementation if you were sufficiently motivated.

PDAL's statistics filter [2] was recently updated to add kurtosis, skewness, variance, etc (no percentiles). You *might* be able to use that in combination with some sort moving window bounding geometry along with the crop filter [3], but this would be quite laborious and probably quite slow. RĂ©mi's pgpointcloud approach seems viable and might be useful for other reasons, depending on what you want to do.

So, plenty of options but nothing that just does it.

Howard

[1] http://www.pdal.io/stages/filters.html
[2] http://www.pdal.io/stages/filters.stats.html
[3] http://www.pdal.io/stages/filters.crop.html