[pdal] Is PDAL capable of producing Lidar grid metrics?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 07:04:37 PDT 2016

Hi Aaron,

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Aaron Poznanovic <aaron at redfoxgis.com>
wrote:

> GridMetrics computes a series of descriptive statistics for a LIDAR data
> set. Output is a raster (grid) represented in database form with each
> record corresponding to a single grid cell.
>
> Essentially, I'm interested in producing a raster dataset where each cell
> represents summarized descriptive statistics for the Lidar point cloud such
> as cover, skewness, 75th percentile, etc (all of the grid metrics I'm after
> are available on the FUSION documentation. Is this currently possible, or
> recommended, with PDAL, or would this require other libraries? Many thanks
> in advance.

this is what r.in.lidar in GRASS GIS is doing:

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/r.in.lidar.html
method: n, min, max, range, sum, mean, stddev, variance, coeff_var, median,
percentile, skewness, trimmean
(available also through QGIS processing since Jun 2)

Currently, r.in.lidar is using libLAS. I would like to rewrite it (or would
like somebody else to rewrite it) to use PDAL instead of libLAS.

The idea here is that at the end you have your data in GRASS GIS where you
can do the subsequent raster analysis (although you can of course import or
link the raster created elsewhere) but PDAL (or currently only libLAS) is
used for all point cloud processing in the background. This is something
like a tool chain which Howard mentions but hidden from the user.

(If somebody is interested in working towards that, please let me know
anytime.)

Vaclav