[pgpointcloud] Questions about indexing and querying

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sat Dec 14 15:16:22 PST 2013

Paul,

So I have endeavored to process and load the entire State of Iowa's LiDAR data into pgpointcloud using PDAL. I currently have 1.24 million patches at ~120k points per patch.  I have some questions on how to use this holding more effectively.

1) Is there an equivalent to this when the pointcloud_postgis extension is enabled? Or did I miss something? The docs don't say too much about indexing other than using the chipper to create patches.
  CREATE INDEX patches on cloud using GIS pathccolumn;

2) Does a simple count, ala "select sum(PC_NumPoints(pa)) from cloud", mean unpacking every patch all the way?

Howard