[pgpointcloud] low compression with pure xyz data

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Nov 23 07:08:26 PST 2015

For continuous data dimensional compression is probably only going to do common bits removal, and might not even do that, you might just get zlib on your column, you’d have to check the debug and see what it chose.
If your patches are well correlated (data from similar locations in same patch) then common bits will have more room to take out redundant info.
Storage should be ‘external’ that is correct, and I’m surprised it got switched back to main? Once you have your own compression scheme (as we do) you don’t want main storage anymore.
If storage is ‘main’ then “uncompressed” patches of 1000 points will probably end up compressed by the postgresql backend, to fit them onto pages. PostgreSQL really wants to compress things for you, it’s hard to stop it, unless you’re set to external storage.