[pgpointcloud] PC_Upgrade explanations

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at oslandia.com
Thu Apr 27 09:14:22 PDT 2017

Hi

Can someone explain how to use PC_Upgrade [*] to me? In particular I am
trying to understand the "next" thing that can be used during development.

If I have 1.1.0 currently installed I understand that I can just do
"PC_Upgrade('1.1.0next')" to update the extension. This is basically the
same as doing "alter extension pointcloud update to '1.1.0next'".

I also understand that "PC_Upgrade('1.1.0next')" can be used to toggle
"next", going from "1.1.0next" back to "1.1.0" and from "1.1.0" to
"1.1.0next" again.

There is also the "double upgrade" path in PC_Upgrade. But I don't
understand the goal of this double upgrade. When do I need it?

Can someone explain the whole logic behind PC_Upgrade? If I get some
explanations I will go ahead and properly document it in the README.md file.

Thanks!

[*]
<https://github.com/pgpointcloud/pointcloud/blob/4776e924be4afd440904a8277892e2cbb2f9e91b/pgsql/pointcloud.sql.in#L78-L118>

--