[pgpointcloud] Full waveform data

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 05:44:29 PST 2017

Hey Kevin,
So far pgpointcloud can store fixed-size point type
(aka, the point type amount of requiered bit is fully fixed).
The issue is that fullwaveform may have a non fixed number of samples per
waveform (at least for our hardware, according to my colleague Dr. Clément
Mallet)

I think it's possible to use pgpointcloud with full waveform.
I see 2 solutions

 - (super simple) use pgpointcloud as-is to store bounds of samples
position/time per waveform . The samples are stored elsewhere (blob, or
simply array of char), and the waveform geometric information (geometry of
the laser ray) is stored in base.
This allows you to use pgpointcloud with fast index to find the relevant
samples, then when you want to use the ful waveform, you get the
appropriate data and use your custom solutions.

 - (need some work) add a new type of point dimension to pgpointcloud to
directly store the full waveframe samples in pgpointcloud, (the waveform
samples are all stored in one dimension of the point), and some utilitary
functions may be able to generate the samples as 3D points (with each
sample being a point with intensity).

Cheers,
Rémi-C