[pgpointcloud] How to create a PcPoint table in PostGIS?

Neil Underhill neil.underhill at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 09:46:47 PDT 2023

I have a .laz file with about 51m points in it  (225 MB in size), and want
to run a RANSAC algorithm to detect roof planes.

I would like to add the LIDAR data to a PostGIS database so I can interact
with other geospatial layers (e.g. use a mask to filter the points to
consider) and also access individual points to input into the algorithm.
I have been following the information here (
https://pgpointcloud.github.io/pointcloud/concepts/objects.html) about the
different Point Cloud Objects.

My question is, if I store the data as a PcPatch, will I be able to access
the individual points (e.g. select three points at random, that may or may
not be in the same patch) ?

If not, it seems I will need to store as PcPoint. If it's the latter, I am
not clear how I create a database with PcPoint objects, as the example in
the Quickstart (https://pgpointcloud.github.io/pointcloud/quickstart.html)
only creastes a PcPatch table.

Thanks for any advice,
Neil