[pgrouting-dev] pgRouting 3 questions

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Sat Apr 16 02:36:19 EDT 2011

On Apr 16, 2011 2:40 AM, "Stephen Woodbridge" <woodbri at swoodbridge.com>
wrote:

> On 4/15/2011 6:39 AM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
>
>> It wasn't me, it was Anton, who wrote the wrappers.
>>
>> The reason why there are not more wrappers available on the website is
>> simple: nobody shares them ;-)
>> There might be several reasons for that, for example:
>>
>>    * it's too much to share them and contribute (we hope we made this
>>      easier by migrating to Github)
>>    * they are made for a certain data provider or a specific use case
>>

>>    Cathal: http://ncg.nuim.ie/i2maps/projects/sp/index.html
>>    I am not familiar enough with plpgsql to convert my code from Python
>>    but if someone else wanted to do it then I would be very happy to
>>    see this shipped with pgRouting.
>

> This question has been asked in the past. Basically the thought was to
provide some sample wrapper functions that people would use as a template
for building their solutions. While there are some common features that
would be nice to have in the generic wrapper functions like trim the
segments to the start and end points and being able to enter two lat/lon's,
many of the customizations are problem specific and would not be valuable to
others because they are solving a different problem or their data tables are
different.

> A good example is filtering pedestrian and bicycle ways from your bus
routes. Oh and I don't use OSM data so anything OSM specific would get in my
way. But there could be a collection of OSM specific wrappers that would be
very useful to others working with OSM data.

> For example I write new wrappers for almost every project I do because of
these differences. IE: my existing wrappers do not fit the current problem I
am trying to solve.

> I think we would all agree that getting some of the common changes that
everyone uses would be useful.

I think it would be nice to have a collection of wrapper examples to learn
from. Some recipies or code snippets to start with maybe.

Where do you think would be a good place for that?
The Github Wiki, the pgrouting-contrib repository or somewhere else?
If someone has a time and wants to study plpgsql, writing some recipies and
tutorials and share them with the community would be for sure something that
person would make many friends ;-)

Due to lack of time andI can't help with writing but I can help with
publishing on the pgrouting website.

Daniel