[pgrouting-dev] Re: Network Layering support

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Fri Jan 28 19:11:50 EST 2011

2011/1/29 Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com>

> Hi Jay,
>
> If you are up for tackling another algorithm, I think this is the one that
> has really high value for pgRouting:
>
> http://algo2.iti.kit.edu/english/routeplanning.php
>
> The contraction highways routing is awesome stuff. There is a lot of
> pre-analysis of the network which takes a lot of compute time, but once that
> is done and stored, the resulting structures let you compute routes of
> continental distances in milliseconds.
>
> This should be a very high priority for us as it is already in at least two
> separate tools that work with OSM data. The value add for pgRouting is that
> we could then use this algorithm for any datasets that meet the minimum
> requirements for contraction highways.
>
> Daniel, Anton, do you agree that this is a priority?

Hi Steve,

Yes, I agree that the contraction hierarchy would be much more valuable than
layering.
When you want to provide some layering you don't really know how to define
these layers for some general use case.

So we should probably update the GSoC ideas page a bit. GSoC 2011 is going
to start soon, I think.

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de