[pgrouting-dev] Re: Network Layering support

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Fri Jan 28 19:33:21 EST 2011

Hi Jay,

*Source Code *(Quote from their web-page)
> *The source code of our implementation of contraction hierarchies (CHs)
> is  now available under the terms of the AGPL. If you are interested in
> getting the source code write an email to Robert Geisberger<http://algo2.iti.kit.edu/english/geisberger.php>
> .
> *

I think I saw it already once somewhere, but couldn't find it now anymore.
Instead I found these two pages:

   - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraction_hierarchies ... so it seems
   OpenTripPlanner uses CH:

   http://opentripplanner.org/browser/trunk/opentripplanner-routing/src/main/java/org/opentripplanner/routing/contraction
   - http://cloudmade.com/about/open-source ... Cloudmade uses CH

But I think it would fine to just ask Robert Geisberger for the source code.

> **
> They have also come up with another paper in 2010: "A comparison for
> high-level  approaches for speed-up in path finding algorithms<http://algo2.iti.kit.edu/english/1695.php>"
> but the full-text does not seem to be available. (I think this might be
> useful too)
>
> The GSoc page lists Network Layering (Contraction Hierarchies) and Highway
> Hierarchies as two separate problems. But Contraction Hierarchies technique
> seems to outperform HH in almost all categories, and comparatively its less
> complex.

Needs to be updated for 2011. It was just a collection of ideas, but not a
requirement for students to follow.

Daniel

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de