[pgrouting-dev] Time dependent data and input format

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jul 29 12:24:45 EDT 2011

On 7/29/2011 11:49 AM, Jay Mahadeokar wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Stephen Woodbridge
> <woodbri at swoodbridge.com <mailto:woodbri at swoodbridge.com>> wrote:
>
>     Jay,
>
>     This make sense. What I'm trying to understand and get to is how do
>     we make this easy to setup and use. It seems like we are missing
>     something somewhere. For example, the cyclical range of a single
>     entry can be different from other entries, think week days versus
>     weekends. It should be possible to have some cyclic entries and some
>     not cyclic. Based on this it seems that the cyclic flag needs to be
>     set on each record along with the period of the cycle. Would you agree?
>

> The main motivation behind all this brain storming is to keep the core
> algorithm and the postgres c function implementation, independent of the
> nature of data, right? So, we need to somehow abstract the data
> dependent properties from the core functionality.
>
> That was the reason why we came up with the plsql wrapper functions
> idea. For optimising again, we need to communicate the cyclic properties
> to core algorithm, but the interface should be independent of nature of
> data.
>
>     If this is the case, then a quick scan of the data would tell us if
>     there are cyclic entries, in which case a simple function to scan
>     the data needed and see if any entry is cyclic could return that
>     flag. But if every entry is marked as cyclic or not then you might
>     not need that flag at all.
>

> What I feel is: if we scan the data and keep the logic of determining
> the cyclic nature within the postgres C function, then the above aim
> will somehow get lost and it will again become a data format specific
> function.
>
> So, I think it will be better if the application developers deal with
> the data themselves so that they can achieve the optimisation. Example -
> for weekday, weekend, the plsql function will provide specific values
> for each day and mark data as non cyclic if there is transition from
> weekday to weekend and vice versa. (A journey more than few days is
> highly unlikely, so anyways it wont repeat the data too much, though it
> will not be optimal)
>
> If the journey is within weekday or within weekend, then we can mark
> data as cyclic, and just retrieve 24 hour data.
>
> This is specific to example data you specified. I believe such
> improvisations will be applicable for most data formats. Thoughts?
>
> Again, this is not the most optimal implementation, but still it keeps
> the core implementation independent of data format. Any other ideas?

Jay,

I think you are correct in this. This will require some real world
examples of data and how to work with it. The abstraction makes sense
but it is hard to map it to reality hence our discussions.

So if we propose a hypothetical example like:

1. roadway which it one way between 7-10am north bound on mon-fri
2. same roadway is one way between 4-7pm south bound on mon-fri
3. same roadway is two otherwise

A separate type of rule might be:

4. there was an accident at 11am causing reduced speeds for the next 30 mins

we could define a table like:

time_dependency
rule_id:seq:day_of_week:start_time:end_time:from_cost:to_cost:expiry_date
1:1:2,3,4,5,6:0700:1000:30:-1:
1:2:2,3,4,5,6:1600:1900:-1:30:
1:3:1,7:0000:2400:45:45:
2:1:0:1100:1130:20:20:20110729

I hope that is clear.
sun-sat === 1-7 for day_of_week
cost -1 means you can travel that direction

then in the edges table, you can link the edge to time_dependency table
via the rule_id

This is not perfect because, from_cost and to_cost imply a direction of
digitization of the segment which might be reversed on some segments.
You might have multiple rules associated with a single segment. I'm
thinking of a "rule" as a single description of some conditions that
might get reused by multiple edges in the graph. So we might want a
linking table like:

edge_id:rule_id

that will support multiple rules to be associated.

Then the stored procedure could be written to query these tables based
on start time, elapsed time from start, and edge_id that could return
the cost of a single edge. Or you would need to write a stored procedure
to transform these tables into whatever structure you need for the routing.

I just trying to put this into a concrete example so we can work through
how this works and to help understand how we need to document it so
people can use it in a real world example.

Thoughts?

-Steve