[pgrouting-dev] Time dependent data and input format

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jul 29 13:20:07 EDT 2011

On 7/29/2011 1:03 PM, Jay Mahadeokar wrote:

> [...]
>     2. same roadway is one way between 4-7pm south bound on mon-fri
>     3. same roadway is two otherwise
>
>     A separate type of rule might be:
>
>     4. there was an accident at 11am causing reduced speeds for the next
>     30 mins
>
>     we could define a table like:
>
>     time_dependency
>     rule_id:seq:day_of_week:start_ time:end_time:from_cost:to_
>     cost:expiry_date
>     1:1:2,3,4,5,6:0700:1000:30:-1:
>     1:2:2,3,4,5,6:1600:1900:-1:30:
>     1:3:1,7:0000:2400:45:45:
>     2:1:0:1100:1130:20:20:20110729
>
>     I hope that is clear.
>     sun-sat === 1-7 for day_of_week
>     cost -1 means you can travel that direction
>
>     then in the edges table, you can link the edge to time_dependency
>     table via the rule_id
>
>     This is not perfect because, from_cost and to_cost imply a direction
>     of digitization of the segment which might be reversed on some
>     segments. You might have multiple rules associated with a single
>     segment. I'm thinking of a "rule" as a single description of some
>     conditions that might get reused by multiple edges in the graph. So
>     we might want a linking table like:
>
>     edge_id:rule_id
>
>     that will support multiple rules to be associated.
>
>     Then the stored procedure could be written to query these tables
>     based on start time, elapsed time from start, and edge_id that could
>     return the cost of a single edge. Or you would need to write a
>     stored procedure to transform these tables into whatever structure
>     you need for the routing.
>

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for coming up with the example. It fits well in order to describe
> our current plan. So, as proposed we will assume our data is in format
> (instead of creating ids and seq separately im keeping gid as the id
> like in ways table):
>
> gid: day_of_week: start_time: end_time: from_cost: to_cost: expiry_date
>
> Now, the application developer dealing with the data will write plsql
> function which will query the above table and return set of rows:
>
> gid, start_time, end_time, travel_time  as expected by the tdsp query.
>
> Now, if the data format is such that there are rules associated to
> specific edges, and there are linking tables etc as you mentioned, then
> it would be the responsibility of the application developer to come up
> with join queries etc that will be needed in the plsql wrapper function.
> We will just expect data in the above format. And we can also keep track
> of cyclic nature as discussed earlier.  There can be many other formats
> and many other linking table possibilities, but we should not be
> responsible for those. That was the reason of deciding the input data
> format during the pre-coding period.
>
> I hope I am understanding your point and answering relevantly.  Thanks
> again for coming up with the users perspective. This is really helping
> me to understand the real-world scenario which I had not thought about

I think you have it now and I understand it also. The application
developer can have whatever structure they need to represent the data
they have and link it to the edges, and then they have to write a
procedure that will transform that into the record set you defined above
that the engine needs.

In the documentation, you can copy my example and/or simplify it a
little. It is fine to discuss points that they need to consider like
direction of digitization or how to handle transient one way streets,
because these are things that people might need to deal with and it
gives them an idea of how to deal with other data problems that they
might be confronted with.

It would be nice if we could get some real time dependent data and work
through building a sample application the uses it. Maybe we will have
time after GSoC to do that.

Thanks,
   -Steve