[pgrouting-dev] GSoC Project: Highway Hierarchies Routing Support for pgRouting

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Mon Mar 26 02:59:42 EDT 2012

Hi Jinfu,

Thank you for posting to the list!
And thank you for your comment, Jay!

There are already implementations of the contraction hierarchies algorithm
available.
I know about this one for example: http://project-osrm.org/
OpenTripPlanner is using it as well:
https://github.com/openplans/OpenTripPlanner/wiki/

There are two problems I see with this algorithm:

   - Can we use an algorithm published under AGPL? Or are only the existing
   applications AGPL but not the algorithm.
   - Contraction Hierarchies does a lot of pre-processing.
   pgRouting's strength is, that the network data can be changed easily.
   Jinfu, did you already think about details?

I think an implementation of this algorithm in pgRouting is a very
ambitious GSoC project and should be planned well.
But it would be a great contribution for sure.

Jinfu, maybe you can look a bit more into details, search for existing
implementations and try to understand how they work.
Have you already used pgRouting and written pl/pgsql functions?

Daniel

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de