[pgrouting-dev] memory usage in bulk routing

Alec Gosse alec at thegosses.com
Fri May 10 09:34:42 PDT 2013

Hello, and please let me know if this off topic for this list.

My application processes a large number of routes (~500k) in a batch. Each routing task is independent, however even processing ~100 requires multiple GB of ram on a graph of 50k edges. Memory usage grows continually as the query is running rather than leveling out as I would expect, which makes me think that each routing task is holding onto its memory until they all finish. I tried breaking the query into small chunks within a plpgsql loop, but to no benefit.

Is this an accurate assessment, and or, is there a feasible way to route many trips in bulk from a table of start and end points?

Best,
Alec