[pgrouting-dev] How many people use the wrapper functions?

Worth Lutz wal3 at mindspring.com
Sat May 11 16:51:32 PDT 2013

Hi Steve,

I used one of the wrappers, shootingstar_sp_smart I think, but had to modify
it due to problems. I think that it is the one which uses shooting star
which I've since heard doesn't work.

I think that it works for us as all we are using is length as cost to find
the length from a to b. No turn restrictions or anything.

I chose it because the wrapper let me choose a point and it split the
nearest edge and hooked up the point to that edge at the split.

Another reason I chose it was that it worked for the following situation:

          ----------\
         /           \
        /             \
A -----/               B
|_____________________/

Other algorithms would choose the upper edge because that is what was found
first as they tried to go from A to B. I was just learning about routing and
did not want to go figure out how to modify my network to split the long
path where there were multiple paths between nodes.

I've been following your work lately as I will be upgrading our situation to
Postgres 9 and PostGIS 2 at some point. I was waiting for you to get things
settled out before asking which algorithm I should look at to replace
shootingstar.

Thanks for your work on this project.

Worth Lutz