[pgrouting-dev] Version, version, who has the version

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Tue May 28 22:51:08 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Dave Potts <dave.potts at pinan.co.uk> wrote:

>  On 29/05/13 06:20, Daniel Kastl wrote:
>
> Looks great as long as it returns all the information required for
> debugging pg route that can not be got from elsewhere.  It returns
> information about which version of the pgr code has been used, but does it
> include the version information for the dependency of libraries used to
> build pgr?
>
> For example if I use select postgis_version
>
> I get 2.0 USE_GEOS=1 USE_PROJU=1 USE_STATS=1
>
> postgis_full_version
>
> POSTGIS="2.0.0 r9605" GEOS="3.3.8-CAPI-1.7.82 PROJ="Rel.4.8.0, 6 March
> 2012" GDAL="GDAL 1.9.2, release 2012/10/08" LIBJSON="UNKNOWN" RASTER

Hi Dave,

With CMAKE we know about the versions of PostgreSQL, CGAL, Boost for
example.
I don't think we need to include PostgreSQL and PostGIS version as you can
just query for it with the PostgreSQL and PostGIS functions.
Except we think it's important to know with which version it was compiled.
For example someone might just copy old pgRouting accidentally with a
database dump and functions might have conflicts with PostGIS for example.
But PostGIS doesn't do this either, right?

Indeed we could think about to add the version of Boost and CGAL. There are
no other dependencies at the moment.
I changed the function to return a table, so it's quite easy to add a cgal
and boost column actually.

 @Steve
To answer my own question:

> How do you manage to get the updated VERSION file to be part of the last
> commit?
> I added the pre-commit file as you said, but every time I commit, the
> VERSION file changes and is marked as modified. And on the Github
> repository I'm theoretically always one commit hash behind.

With "git commit -a" staged files that have been modified and deleted get
included.
I usually didn't use "-a", so need to be more careful now when doing a
commit ;-)

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de