[pgrouting-dev] out of memory with kdijkstra

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Dec 22 17:31:52 PST 2014

On 12/22/2014 8:06 PM, yobiSource wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any progress in memory management? [1]
>
> I create 5000 times a distance matrix (pgr_kdijkstra) with ~300 points
> and run oom. (>20 GB)
>
> I avoid that by just split the data and open multiple connections (one
> after another) but it is a bit complicated.
>

> [1]
> https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+memory

Hi yobi,

I can appreciate how frustrating issues are like this. They are for the
developers also. Maybe you should open a ticket for this issue and
decribe what you are doing in some detail. Ideally getting a small
database dump and a query that reproduces problem would be very helpful.

While there are other commands that have memory issues, they are most
likely not related to your OOM issue. Information you should post in the
ticket includes:

OS: Windows, Linux

Hardware: 32/64 bit, Memory, amount of swapfile space

How many shared_buffers in your postgresql.conf file?

How many edges in your graph?
    select count(*) from edge_table;

edge and node ids:
    select min(source) as smin, max(source) as smaxm, min(target) as
tmin, max(target) as tmax, min(gid) as gmin, max(gid) as gmax
     from edge_table;

What is your query that is running out on memory?

Describe the steps to reproduce the problem.

Then you can refer to the ticket number when asking about the issue and
all the data is in one place.

As far as progress, we have been tied up on other projects because we
get very little funding for pgrouting, but with some more detailed
information we might be able to help you work around the issue.

Also you might want to look at the tools in github branch develop in
src/common/sql/pgrouting_conversion_tools.sql which has a lot of tools
for building distance matrices.

Also src/kdijkstra/src/k_targets_sp.c which has some new stuff that is
not in the tagged 2.0.0 release.