[pgrouting-dev] Idea: new Github repository for organizational issues and documents

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jul 14 13:54:46 PDT 2017

I'm not a fan of this, but wouldn't stop it if you want to do this. For
transparency of the project and provenience I think it is better to keep
it all in one place.

I look at mapserver which has been around for years or PostGIS, etc and
they have not taken this approach.

If you need to track administrative or PSC tasks, create a ticket and
tag it as such. It is easy to filter queries based on tags.

On 7/12/2017 11:30 AM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
> Hi Vicky and Steve,
>
> I'm currently helping to re-organize another Open Source project on
> Github, and we found it a good idea to have a separate "org" Github
> repository for organizational issues and documents.
>
> Such a repository helps to keep unrelated issues away from source
> repositories. Also templates, contributor guidelines and other
> documents, that may be shared between multiple projects, could be stored
> there.

I don't think we should do it just because some other project decided to
do it. Part of the provenience of the software is the management of the
project. We could easily make an admin folder for all this stuff. I
don't think there is much value in sharing between multiple projects, it
is easy enough to copy the information and personalize it to the
project. And I would not want one project changing the documents for my
project without my approval. This just opens a rats nest IMHO.

> If you don't disagree, I will create such a repository in the next weeks
> and fill it with content in parallel with the other Open Source project.

As I said, I'm not a fan of this idea. But as you and Vicky are doing
most of the work these days. I'll leave this to you to decide, but I
hope you give my concerns some serious consideration.

-Steve

---