[pgrouting-dev] Greetings!!

Vicky Vergara vicky at georepublic.de
Tue Feb 20 10:42:33 PST 2018

Hello Sourabh,

This document is very incomplete please review the GSoC rules and the OSGeO
rules about the application
I must mention that It is not suggesting an algorithm  to be implemented on
pgRouting, but looks more on how to use pgRouting for the special case of
"read networks".
If you haven't done it, please read the pgRouting wiki GSoC ideas of graph
algorithms.
Also, to start making the tasks asked so that we consider your application
when we finish refining it.
I made lots of comments on your document.

Vicky Vergara

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 12:59 AM, Rohith Reddy <rohithreddy2219 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Sourabh,
>
> Sorry for the delayed response. According to my understanding the doc
> explains the practicality of
> ​​
> shortest path problem. It also defines two metrics that can be used for
>  computing shortest yet fastest path.

​I agree that is describing the ​

​
​
shortest path problem​ where you are not using distance as weight. Please
read the pgRouting workshop

> [...]
>    can find that the *cost *column represents the weight of the road. The
>    *cost* column can represent length of the road, travel time on the
>    road or any such metric which is to be minimised while computing shortest
>    path. In this case the metric you provided can be used as the *cost*
>    column for path computation in pgRouting.
>
>    2. *Junctions (intersections)*
>    This functionality had a complete rewrite last year as a part of GSoC
>    2017. Firstly the given graph was modelled as line graph
>    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_graph> that captures the turn
>    costs, and this line graph was further used for computing shortest path.
>    The metric you provided in this case can be used as a *cost* in the *line
>    graph*. You can find further details about the project here
>    <https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/wiki/GSoC-2017-Rewrite-TRSP>.
>
>     It would be interesting to try and analyse the difference between the
>    shortest path(based on length) and shortest path(based on the above
>    metrics) on real world road network data like Open Street Maps.
>
> Regards,
> Rohith Reddy.
>
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 12:43 AM, Sourabh Garg <
> sourabh.gargcd.mat14 at iitbhu.ac.in> wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>     In reference to my earlier mail, I look forward to hearing some
>> feedback or guidance on my proposed idea. So, that I start working with the
>> organization as early as possible. I have started researching some ideas:
>> multi-modal path problem, truck and trailer routing and generic driving
>> direction. I would be glad if I can get help regarding them.
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Sourabh Garg
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 2:23 AM, Sourabh Garg <
>> sourabh.gargcd.mat14 at iitbhu.ac.in> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>           I am a fourth year integrated dual degree(BTech+MTech)
>>> student from IIT(BHU) pursuing Mathematics and Computing. I am quite
>>> interested in working with the pgRouting organization(OSGeo).
>>>
>>> Earlier I had been doing my Btech project on graph theory titled "Graph
>>> theoretical modeling of Institution campus". Under one subtopic of this
>>> project, I worked on "Fastest-cum-shortest route between two nodes" which
>>> involves relative travel time at road segments as well as turns(junctions).
>>> I find it as a more generalized version of one of last year's GSoC project
>>> "Turn Restricted Shortest path algorithm". I have attached the link to
>>> this, please review and your guidance would be very helpful for me.
>>> I have also been intrigued by Gsoc ideas for this year like
>>> multi-modal transportation, generic driving instruction, trailer problem,
>>> these are quite relatable to my work.
>>> I look forward to hearing from you.
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14NkVVZPXPruYrS1_Aw
>>> 5i0z_Ltpoojj2EJqMqmfW3oG4/edit?usp=sharing

Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,
81739 München, Germany

Vicky Vergara