[pgrouting-dev] pgRouting PSC

Vicky Vergara vicky at georepublic.de
Tue Sep 18 05:40:59 PDT 2018

Hello Developers:

As a reminder the road map:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/pgrouting-dev/2018-April/001866.html

About PSC in here:
https://pgrouting.org/development.htmlProject Steering Committee

Due to members inactivity the project steering committee is currently not
operating.

For Project Steering Committee guideline see RFC 01
<https://pgrouting.org/rfc/rfc-01.html>.
So pgRouting will remain an OSGeo Community project if we don't have a
acting PSC.
For me a PSC = Propose, Suggest and Comment
For OSGeo a PSC = Project Steering Committee
But as long as we don't have an active PSC we will never be able to apply
to be an OSGeo project. (Currently we are OSGeo Community project)

In my incursion for several projects, there is PSC and there is a committer
category where
- PSC take decisions & can merge & pushes to all main repositories
- committers  can merge & push to all or some main repositories

Remember we have 5 main repositories on pgRouting:
pgRouting
pgRoutingLayer
osm2pgrouting
workshop
website

and a lot of unused ones, the full list is:
https://github.com/pgRouting

Since 2013 when I started to standardize the internal C/C++ code of our
main product "pgRouting", I was basically taking the decisions due to the
fact of my experience & knowledge of C++. But, I tried, to the best of my
abilities:
- to make all developers to help make a decision, (like about the road map)
- current "committers" to review my PR
- not to push directly into the main repository (special cases are when
fixing issues due to several CI we have)

But I feel is time to start building the PSC so that we can eventually
start our application to be an OSGeo Project.
My wish list of traits of PSC members:
- A continued Propose, Suggest or Comment kind of activity.
[end of wish list]
(where the propose comes is supported by "doing")

For me, there are several people that fall into this category.
Daniel, Steve, Regina, Cayetano, Rohith and me.

Daniel is very good in administration, from simple things like adding the
FOSS4G logo to the website,  he made the cool stickers, he keeps tweeter
announcements, has done presentations of pgRouting and workshops. Has being
a mentor on GSoC & GCI.

Steve is very attentive when people need help, specially on stack exchange,
or on issues.He listens to me when I get stuck or frustrated. Has done
presentations of pgRouting and workshops. Has being a mentor on GSoC.

Cayetano has gone deeper on pgRoutingLayer, and osm2pgrouting, has done
presentations of pgRouting. Has being a mentor on GSoC.

Rohith, knows the "guts" of pgRouting, has done presentations of pgROuting
and written papers. Has being a mentor on GSoC & GCI.

Regina, worries about setting up the proper testing frameworks, using the
latest postgresql, or the one that is being developed. Has done
presentations of pgRouting and workshops. Has written the pgRouting book.

I know our products pgRoutingLayer,  osm2pgrouting, Workshop and pgRouting.
Have done presentations of pgRouting and workshops. Have being a mentor on
GSoC & GCI.

So basically this PSC that I am thinking of is "Let me do what I do best
for the project" kinda PSC  with the twist of an official PSC.

As for committers we have many, many come from GSoC work, some were already
there (before 2013), some have done work recently, some has done nothing
for a long time.

More active communication via the public channels: gitter, or IRC (if
requiered by incubation) and developers mailing list, issues.

As we move forward to be an OSGeo project one of the first tasks I want to
have everyone to participate is on our pgRouting "branding".
Daniel is organizing this and $upporting this through Mark Chataigner:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1CARMqbH7o-yRdylE-YL6OdL7qXnEgZTfXl9AuZPcTCc/edit

Regards
Vicky

--