[pgrouting-dev] Backwards Compat

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jun 10 13:47:23 PDT 2021

> Hi all!
> What kind of care do you take to ensure that library symbols don't change
over
> time? So that the library symbols in pgrouting30 match up to pgrouting31 ?
I ask
> because having non-changing names makes upgrade/install/failovers simpler.
> P.
[Regina Obe]
In prior releases I think symlinking did work fine but there is a lot going
on with pgRouting 3.2 that that might not be the case.  I haven't tried
doing that recently.

FWIW it's much less of an issue with pgRouting than it is with PostGIS
because pgRouting is not tied to any data.
So even if pg_upgrade fails, you can just drop the extension and install it
after the upgrade.

Vicky can correct me if I misspoke but I don't think she's that concerned
about it right now, but I don't think C++ functions bound via SQL api don't
change that often.  Mostly just additions.

I did mention about keeping the .so name the same as part of this maintain
and that those should go hand in hand with keeping symbols the same.
Otherwise it's still a symlinking pain that few people would understand how
to do.  DROP EXTENSION  / CREATE EXTENSION  after pg upgrade would still be
easier for most unless the .so name doesn't change.

Thanks,
Regina