[pgrouting-users] Motion for Project Steering Commitee and call for participation

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Mar 8 11:03:13 EST 2010

Hi all,

I have been a member of the Mapserver PSC for 5-6 years I think. I can
assure everyone that the process is NOT very intrusive. It really helps
to keep development efforts public and to keep it rolling forward. If
you have more than one or two developers having some process is
important. RFCs are typically one page documents that define what you
plan to develop and discusses and key technical impact of that effort.
This is very help up front to let people see the plan and comment on it
before a lot of work is done that might be problematic for some other
part of the code that you were not familiar with. It also helps the
documentation effort because the documentarians with have a guiding
document to start working from. I will also note that OpenLayers, GDAL,
GEOS and the PostGIS projects all follow a similar PSC process so I
think that is good recommendation in and of itself.

I think that what has made this process successful for all of these
projects is that it has been flexible with the process and the the teams
are willing to collaborate and compromise when needed. Little tasks need
little or no process beyond a quick discussion over IRC or the list.
Larger tasks that are more invasive need more discussion. All in all it
works well, but it took some time initially for everyone to get used to it.

As Daniel said, this is a proposal, not a dictate. We are looking for
collaboration on the PSC and that includes how it is run. Our goal is to
build a community and eventually more this into a OSGeo project status.
To start this process, we need to hear your concerns and your alternate
proposals on the PSC process. I would hope anyone that is would be
interested in working on the project would engage us with their thoughts
on the proposed process.

Best regards,
   -Steve