[pgrouting-users] dijkstra_sp_delta throwing a signal 6 (SIGABRT?)

Richard Marsden winwaed at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 09:33:36 EST 2011

Update...

Well China did crash. Following from my theory that it is memory leak or
other resource limitation from a large number of calls to pgRouting, I added
code to cleanly close and reopen the connection every 300 points (ie. a max
of 600 pgRouting calls). I also added a local garbage collection call and a
200ms sleep for good measure.

It appears to be working - China is still running (and should do for a week
possibly), but it has run far longer than it did to the first crash or any
of the Brazil crashes.

So there is a resource somewhere that is being "used up" when I have large
numbers of queries on the same connection. When the connection closes, the
resource in question is freed.

The stack is Psycopg -> Postgres -> pgRouting.

I found a reference to someone having a similar problem (no pgRouting, but
lots of SELECTs through Psychopg), and their solution was to do a commit
after every SELECT:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4173168/psycopg-postgres-connections-hang-out-randomly

I haven't found any other references to this kind of problem.

Richard