[pgrouting-users] Generating route loops, Removing sticking-out bits

Steve Horn steve at stevehorn.cc
Fri Jul 27 10:56:51 PDT 2012

I think your idea will work, except the case when you are returning to the
starting node. Although that could be easily solved by saying "don't travel
any edges I've already traveled, /unless/ my target is my home base".

Another thought is to possibly remove the edges from the route that are
duplicated, and then run shortest_path for the places where you have
missing edges (you should be able to query for nodes that do not have 2
connections in the solution graph---except you'd ignore the start point
since it will only have 1). (This may solve the problem represented in your
second picture).

These solutions may restrict your walking paths too much though. There are
some edges in your graph that actually require U-turns. Is it acceptable to
exclude those outright?

Steve Horn