[pgrouting-users] pgRouting and multi-core

Yaron Lev yaron666 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 06:43:13 PDT 2013

thanks a lot for your in-depth explanation, it helped me a lot and indeed i
was referring to the c/c++ part.

the basic question i am  trying to understand, how beneficial it will be to
increase the DB instance size (cpu wise) (i am using AWS).

just to be clear, and re-iterating, each request has two basic parts:

1. grab data, and build the graph on the db - this is done on the
PostgreSQL db, and therefor will benefit from multi-core environment.

2. solving and returning the answer  -
here i am a little lost. PostgreSQL allow integration of C, i would expect
then, that these extensions(pgRouting code) will also benefit from
multi-core environment.
(i.e each request will use a different thread if needed, and on different
core if needed)

so in short, will part 2, also benefit from increasing the instance size(i
understand it consumes roughly 30% of resources needed to complete the
request)?

again, many thanks for your help.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com