[pgrouting-users] PGR 2.0 - Refactored the TYPEs and Added a seq column

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon May 13 18:30:00 PDT 2013

Hi All,

Another big change just got pushed to the repository for sew-devel-2_0.

This change involved refactoring and abstracting our return types from
our functions. Basically every function was create a new return type
that was the same but a little different mostly in the column names.

So what we now have are:

     CREATE TYPE pgr_costResult AS
     (
         seq integer,
         id1 integer,
         id2 integer,
         cost float8
     );

     CREATE TYPE pgr_geomResult AS
     (
         seq integer,
         id1 integer,
         id2 integer,
         geom geometry
     );

     CREATE TYPE pgr_vertexResult AS
     (
         x float8,
         y float8
     );

and I have eliminated 6 of the old types, namely:

     pgr_pathResult
     pgr_geoms
     pgr_apspEdge
     pgr_linkPoint
     pgr_kspResult
     pgr_kspGeoms

You will also notice that I have added a seq column to the first two
types and this can be used to maintain order if you need two.

So what are id1 and id2? these are just generic names, you will have to
looks at the specify function to see what it returns in these slots.

The docs have NOT been updated to reflect these changes, but Daniel and
I will work on this over the next few days.

CALL FOR HELP!

One of the things that we really could use some help with is building
test cases. I would like to see a minimum of one test per function call
and ideally one for each of the variation that a function has.

This should not be that hard to do, because we have cut down
significantly on the number of functions by abandoning most of the
wrapper functions. But there are still a lot of functions in the
src/common/sql/ directory that have no test. When I was converting the
code for the changes above, I found a bunch functions in the matching
code that clearly have never worked correctly because they had
assignments like:

    variable = equation;

which basic computes the boolean comparison of variable and equation and
then throws away the result. Oooops! This must be written like:

    variable := equation;

to do an assignment.

Anyway having the tests that we do have made it much faster to identify
problems in the code I changed and to make sure everything was working
as it was before I made the changes. I'm just worried about the things
we do not have test for! and should should you!

Let me know how it goes when you have a chance to give it a try.

Thanks,