[pgrouting-users] Optimize routing - use new sew-devel-2_0 functions

Frédéric Bonifas fredericbonifas at gmail.com
Wed May 22 03:45:35 PDT 2013

Thank you for this, I don't use a bounding box for now.
According to this doc [1], the wrappers implementing a bbox
restrictions will be dropped. Is there a new built-in way to implement
bbox restriction in the sew-devel-2_0 branch or do I have to write
this in my wrapper ?

Best

1: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiIg1pkkh_MRdGQzOEhyaXlndkN3eHdGNkpyQ0pMZFE#gid=0

2013/5/22 Daniel Kastl <daniel at georepublic.de>:

> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Frédéric Bonifas
> <fredericbonifas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I agree the the routes will be relatively short for pedestrian routing,
>> but :
>> * if I understand correctly how Dijkstra works, the routing time will
>> mostly depend on the size of the graph, as the whole graph will be
>> visited before giving the shortest_route.
>> * the fastest it is, the more I like it :)
>> * I show to the user different possible routes (4) so the routing time
>> is multiplied by this factor.
>>

> Hi Frederic,
>
> The algorithm doesn't make such  big difference as you might expect.
> What matters is the size of the network that you load for a routing request,
> which depends on the length of the route and the road density.
> For example a 40km route through Tokyo will load a huge amount of data, but
> some sparse area in Canada 40km would not be an issue.
>
> For your pedestrian routing, did you make sure that you don't load the whole
> network table for every request?
> The easiest way to limit the data you select is using a BBOX.
>
>  Daniel
>

> --
> Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
> eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de