[pgrouting-users] Shortest path with edge-parameters affecting the whole path

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Dec 14 11:34:50 PST 2014

Nicklas,

This is an interesting problem. The dynamic nature of it is more of a
vehicle routing problem (VRP) than a simple path through the network
problem like (Dijkstra).

To do what you want requires some level of back tracking or abandoning
part of the current solution to move forward again.

Let me explain with a simple idea. Say your truck needs to cross a
bridge and pickup a load of logs on an island. But the bridge has a
weight restriction. If you cross the bridge when the trucks capacity is
near the the weight limit of the bridge, then you are overweight on the
return trip. This is a problem because the bridge is the ONLY
access/egress to the island, so the truck is now stuck on the island and
can not return without unloading to get below the limit.

In VRP, you are doing route optimization, so you can try this order of
pickups and other order of pickups and keep the best. When you compute a
path between any two nodes A to B, you can do things like check the the
current load of the truck against the path and make it infinity if it is
not viable, then the algorithm will be forced to look for a lower cost
solution, like picking up the island load earlier in the path.

-Steve