[pgrouting-users] Problem with CREATE EXTENSION pgrouting;

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jul 15 17:46:06 PDT 2014

On 7/15/2014 8:31 PM, René Fournier wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I’m having some trouble installing the pgRouting extension. Specifically, I want to add it to an existing database, but all the tutorials only seem to show creating a database with pgRouting, then loading data.
>
> postgres=# SELECT postgis_full_version();
> NOTICE:  Function postgis_topology_scripts_installed() not found. Is topology support enabled and topology.sql installed?
>                                                                 postgis_full_version
> POSTGIS="2.1.2 r12389" GEOS="3.4.2-CAPI-1.8.2 r3921" PROJ="Rel. 4.8.0, 6 March 2012" GDAL="GDAL 1.11.0, released 2014/04/16" LIBXML="2.9.1" RASTER
> (1 row)
>
> postgres=# select * from pgr_version();
> version |       tag       | build |  hash   | branch | boost
> ---------+-----------------+-------+---------+--------+--------
> 2.0.0   | pgrouting-2.0.0 | 0     | f26831f | master | 1.55.0
> (1 row)
>
> postgres=# \c mydb
>
> mydb=# create extension postgis;
> ERROR:  PostGIS is already installed in schema 'public', uninstall it first

This is ok and can be ignored.

> alba3=# select * from pgr_version();
> mydb:  function pgr_version() does not exist
> LINE 1: select * from pgr_version();
>                       ^
> HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.

This fails correctly because you have not installed pgrouting!

create extension pgrouting;
select * from pgr_version();

It is possible that the pgrouting extension is dependent on have postgis
installed as an extension rather then from the sql script. You can fix
this with:

create extension postgis from unpackaged;

Then run the commands above.

-Steve