[pgrouting-users] pgr_nodeNetwork ?

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Tue Nov 18 12:31:21 PST 2014

Hi,

Le 17/11/2014 23:35, Stephen Woodbridge a écrit :
> On 11/17/2014 3:17 PM, Hugo Mercier wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to use pgr_nodeNetwork to split crossing lines (both
>> X-shaped and T-shaped).
>> It seems to add way more new nodes than needed. Lines are sometimes
>> split right in the middle where there is no reason for that (no
>> intersection).
>> Playing with the tolerance argument does not seem to solve the issue.
>
> Tolerance needs to be set in the units of your data, ie: if you data is
> in WGS84 decimal degrees then you need a tolerance like 0.000001 But if
> you data is in meters then a tolerance of 1.0 is probably fine. Of
> course this all depends on your data.
>
> If you have lines like
>
> A---------C-B---------D
>
> where the original segments are AB and CD then you will get new segments
> AC, CB, BD
>
> There are lots of cases that look fine when you view the data, but are
> not so good when we analyze the data. Also if you tolerance is wacky
> then there is not telling what might happen.
>
> -Steve

Yes. But, with a closer look, my data are still fine.

Consider the following simple case of two segments crossing on (5,5) :

create table network (id int, the_geom geometry(linestring) );
insert into network values (1, 'linestring(0 0, 10 10)'::geometry);
insert into network values (2, 'linestring(2 0, 8 10)'::geometry);
select pgr_nodeNetwork('network', 0.001);

The "network_noded" table then contains 4 geometries :
LINESTRING(0 0,1 1) <-- the first segment split on what seems to be the
projection of the starting point of the second segment (?)
LINESTRING(1 1,9 9) <-- split on the projection of the ending point of
the second segment
LINESTRING(9 9,10 10)
LINESTRING(2 0,8 10) <-- the original second segment

Is it what is expected ?

I expected to find the two geometries split on the (5,5) point ...

PS: I am using pgrouting 2.0.0