[pgrouting-users] New release planning for pgrouting 2.1 and 3.0 was) Re: [pgrouting-dev] Proposal: towards 3.0.0

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jul 3 06:52:05 PDT 2015

Hello packagers, devs and users,

Vicky has been doing a lot of work on pgrouting development. A big part
of this effort has been to work with the boost code in all the
algorithms that use Dijkstra and to refactor it into a common set of
classes that get reused. This does a bunch of good things for us:

1) fixes lots of bugs
2) reduces the amount of code
3) reuses the same code in all the algorithms so fixing a bug in one
fixes it in all of them
4) has done a huge amount of testing on the new algorithms to verify
their correctness
5) has changed the function signatures to be more consistent with
respect to the arguments and their meaning

Some of this code depends on C++11 so we need to know whether your
system supports this so we can decide how to release this work.

For a potential pgRouting 2.1 release we need to:
* maintain compatibility with existing function signatures
* can we require C++11 or C++0x or will this break things?

For a potential pgRouting 3.0 release we can:
* break compatibility with function signature
* add the requirement for C++11 compiler

Also please read and provide feedback on Vicky's Toward 3.0 document
linked below.

We need feedback!

Thanks,
   -Steve