[pgrouting-users] alphashape with less than 3 points crashing server process

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Apr 15 21:03:28 PDT 2016

On 4/15/2016 9:32 PM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
>> 2016-04-15 14:40:15 BST  LOG  server process (PID 5044) was terminated
>> by exception 0xC0000005
>>
>> 2016-04-15 14:40:15 BST  LOG  terminating any other active server
>> processes
>>
>> 2016-04-15 14:40:15 BST  WARNING  terminating connection because of
>> crash of another server process
>>
>> So, I guess my question is, is there any way I can get my function to
>> fail gracefully when I hit this exception and stop my connection
>> terminating and the process crashing?
>>

> I remember, that this was an issue in the past, but I thought it had be
> resolved long time ago by returning an error and not crashing the
> process, so I don't even remember when.
> We will look into this. Thanks for reporting.

The short answer is this is a bug and the way to stop the server from
crashing is to fix the bug. The best way to do this is to find a case
where you can repeat the issue and file a test case, then we can debug
the issues and put in a fix for it.

The reason for the crash is because when something bad and unexpected
happens the database can not be sure that all the other processes are in
a stable state so it kills all the database processes so that the
database will get recovered into a known stable state. While this may be
annoying it is better than continuing with possible damaged and
inconsistent data that will impact future results or potential destroy
more data or return bad data.

If you have a test case that fails we would really like to get it so we
can address this problem.

Thanks,
   -Steve

---