[postgis-devel] dumper toward wkb

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Nov 18 06:57:48 PST 2003

I've worked again on the dumper to prepare the way for WKB parsing.
Table attributes are now scanned prior to main loop, making it
possible to easly create a custom query to return whatever geometry
transformation ( asbinary() most likely ) will be found needed.

I've also introduced some verbosity output to visually see
where is the time spent, and the occasion made me implement
buffered record fetching. The default verbosity level (1) will
show an 'X' for every FETCH. Setting verbosity level to 2 will
also show an lower case letter for each field processed
(g: geometry, i: integer, s: string, d: double). Verbosity is set
with the compile time define VERBOSE at the top of the file.

To play with buffered rows benchmarking you can set a ROWBUFLEN
environment variable to any positive integer. No checks are made for
negative integers so please don't use them :)

For 8k rows I got 10secs with FETCH 1 and 9secs with FETCH 10000
(FETCH 1 was 88% slower).

Keep a big table handy for WKB tests.