[postgis-devel] max_distance(geom,geom)

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Aug 26 07:59:59 PDT 2004

Porting the max_distance(geom1, geom2) to LWGEOM,
I've found a bug in it or I missed the meaning of the function.

The function, as currently implemented in postgis, returns
the maximum value of the *minimum* distance between all points
from the linestring geom1 and the linestring geom2.

For example
	max_distance('LINESTRING(0 0, 5 0)', 'LINESTRING(0 0, 10 0)')
gives '0' as a result, while IMO it should return '10' !

Now. What do you think I should do ?

	1) keep the function as it is
	2) mark the function as obsoleted
	3) fix the function to return distance between most distant points
	3+) recurse into composing subgeoms... (will be expensive).

Solution '1' is already there.