[postgis-devel] 1.0RC1 open issues

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Thu Dec 16 04:17:33 PST 2004

Hi, Strk,

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:04:43 +0100
strk at refractions.net wrote:

> 	- && Operator for geometry and box2d
> 	  one of the two might be useless while
> 	  having both doesn't let you query
> 	  geometry && box2d
> 	  because this could be transformed to
> 	  geometry && box2d::geometry
> 	  OR
> 	  geometry::box2d && box2d
> 	  .. and pGSQL can't choose between the two.

Abandoning one of the auto casts would be bad, I think.

Hmm, what does postgres do when we define "geometry && box2d" and "box2d
&& geometry" as well? Then it does not need to cast, and your code can
do what is most efficient. The back side is that two additional
operators have to be maintained.

The lean alternative may be to only define it for box2d and always rely
on the autocasts.

HTH,
Markus
--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich