[postgis-devel] LWgeom and PostGIS Java classes

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Thu Dec 16 04:57:41 PST 2004

Hi, Strk,

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:26:38 +0100
strk at refractions.net wrote:

> Actually since we "extend" we might as well add the SRID there...
> If you want a 'pure' WKB you currently have to
> 	SELECT asbinary(force_2d(geom))
> to avoid ZM ...
> Embedding a SRID would mean requiring to run
> 	SELECT asbinary(dropBBOX(setSRID(force_2d(geom), -1)));
>
> .. of course we might as well have asBinary(geom) *always* return
> 'pure' WKB and rely on canonical (text or binary) forms for
> postgis extensions .. (should keep discussing this on postgis-devel).

I think asBinary(geom) should always return pure WKB for OpenGIS
compliant 2d geometries. Whether we silently drop additional,
non-openGIS dimensions, or extend WKB, or raise an error or warnings,
can be discussed. Any form of extended WKB from asBinary is subject to
change as soon as the official WKB spec gets extended.

The canonical forms should be "lossless", as close to the internal rep
as feasible (for efficiency reasons), provide all PostGIS features and
extensions, and are subject to change between PostGIS releases.

> > I only hope that I don't get conflicts for the GEOS and ProJ versions (I
> > would try to run current 1.0beta CVS branch additionally to 0.8.1
> > currently running).
>
> postgis 1.0beta should run with any GEOS version.
> If you upgrade GEOS 0.8.1 will fail to work, but 0.9.1 should.

Currently, I'm forced to keep 0.8.1 working on my developer machine (as
this is what we currently have to our production machines). We try to
get an additional machine for this purpose, but delivery can need some
time.

Maybe we manage to install both GEOS versions in parallel here, using
different .so-names. If not, we need to compile postgis 1.0beta against
old geos.

Thanks,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich