[postgis-devel] OGC *strictness*

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Thu Dec 23 04:22:52 PST 2004

Hi, Strk,

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:51:01 +0100
strk <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> Since OGC *requires* SRID to be specified
> in GeomFromWKT() and GeomFromWKB(), shouldn't we drop (at least in
> docs) the support for calls w/out it ?
>
> If people want to type less can use canonical ascii
> and binary input or GeomFromEWKT() and GeomFromEKB() instead.

As we don't lose functionality, I think we can drop it. Issuing a
warning would be another possibility (and may be good for a grace
period), but dropping it reduces the amount of code and is the way to
go.

Maybe you drop it in the docs now, and add a warning to the code in 1.0
and 0.9 to tell the people it will disappear in 1.1, and then actually
remove it in 1.1.

Thanks,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich