[postgis-devel] Re: Rounding off coordinates (from Postgis-users)

strk strk at keybit.net
Thu Jul 1 08:41:22 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 05:18:11PM +0200, Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Strk,
>
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 02:08:05 +0200
> strk <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
>
> > Gino, about removing points:
> > 	- You'll never introduce self-intersections
>
> One can introduce self-intersections by removing or rounding points.
>
> Example for the first:

>     *-----*
> --------* |
>         | |
>         | |
>         | |
>         | |
>         | *---
>
> Now, you remove the point of the outer corner because it is too near to
> the two next points:

>     *
> -----X--*
>       \ |
>        \|
>         |\
>         | *---
>
> It's no exact graphics, but I think it should be enough to get the
> idea...
>
> Markus

What I implemented did not remove points with 'too-near' checks.
I tough you were doing something similar. RoundingOff primary
purpose should be Rounding, not points reduction.
What I did is removing points which made really no-sense keeping,
which is consecutive points having the same coordinates and
multiple back-and-forth between two points.

--strk;