[postgis-devel] GeomRound and GeomTrunc functions

Gino Lucrezi gino-postgisdevel at lucrezi.net
Fri Jul 2 05:16:01 PDT 2004

> > > - Doesn't SQL provide casting toward numeric data ?
> > >  Have you tried defining your funx as taking int2 and
> > >  see if postgresql will convert numeric values to int2 ?
> >
> > I tried, and it didn't do it automatically.
> > If it is defined as FUNCTION GeomRound(geometry, int2) then I
> > have to call it as GeomRound( the_geom, 1::int2 ) which isn't nice.

> Maybe if you define the function as taking numeric instead of int2
> you'll get all casts for free (I don't think you'll loose much performance)

I think so, but as I said this was my first effort.
I wanted to use the smallest possible data type (an habit of mine), and I didn't know yet of possible pitfalls in doing so.

As for performance, I don't think an extra two bytes might have any impact; the use of a wrapper function (as I did now) has some impact, on the other hand.

> Oh, ok. You have no use for  x/y/z differentiation then.

I don't, but someone else might.
In some cases, accuracy on the x axis might be different from that on the y axis, especially if coordinate transforms have been used.

Accuracy on the z axis (if used) is almost always different.

> What I've implemented is a generic grid application function.

It's quite interesting.

I'm studying its code.

Gino Lucrezi
Penta Consulting Services Srl