[postgis-devel] index leaks ?

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at co.fulton.ga.us
Fri Mar 12 06:48:39 PST 2004

strk wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm watching a strange beahviour by postgres,
> I wonder if it's a memory leak:
>
> Creating an index and destroying it makes the
> postgres process grow in size. This is what I do:
>
> create table test (a int);
> create index test_idx on test (a); drop index test_idx;
> create index test_idx on test (a); drop index test_idx;
> create index test_idx on test (a); drop index test_idx;
>

> Can it be a memory leak in postgres code ?

curiously
the first 3 times after connecting with psql
   create index test_idx on test using gist (a); drop index test_idx;
the SIZE, RSS, SHARE are all stable after each pass.

The 4th and subsequent tests grow the SIZE but not the SHARE.

quitting psql and repeating is giving the same delayed growth.
As does letting the psql session sit quiet for several minutes then
repeating.

Does PG auto generate column stats slightly delayed after a create index ??

Pg 7.4.1

--
Carl Anderson
GIS Manager, Fulton County E&CD