[postgis-devel] urgent bug in LWGEOM WKB input/output

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Oct 14 05:02:00 PDT 2004

I've found WKB input/output of LWGEOM to be bogus.
If I fully understood the problem Ralph Mason
parser/unparser uses the canonical HEXWKB form
which is sligtly larger then WKB.

This is for multitypes: a MultiPoint in canonical form has:
	type: byte + MZ flags
	npoints: 4bytes
	POINT {
		type: byte + MZ flags
		coords
	}

The second 'type' (the one inside POINT) is useless.
This is true for both WKB and canonical form.

For WKB this is not only useless but also Malformed.
the lwgeom_inout.c contains the WKB output, which
basically invoke the HEXWKB output and transform it
from HEX to binary...

Did I introduce the bug or does it ring a bell for
Dave and Ralph ?

Note that I surely introduced a bug in the dumper because
I was initially convinced the WKB was good and the dumper
bogus...